NSW: Q&A Strata approval for renovations – What is the process?

Question: Do we need permission from the owners corporation to install an entertaining area, including a sink and lighting, in our villa’s backyard?

In a Villa complex can an owner build an entertainment area in their backyard?

The structure’s roof is attached from the facia board under the eaves of the back of the villa to the dividing fence, using the fence as walls for the entertainment area. The fence height has been raised to 2.2m. A sink has been installed, lighting & a fan.

Does any of this need strata approval or is this structure allowed?

Answer: Yes, strata approval (by way of a by-law as the structure changes the external appearance of the lot) is required from your description. Likely Council approval would be required too.

For the full question and our detailed response, visit the original publication at Look Up Strata.

Do you have a question relating to your property or development? Contact us!

‘Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation’.