Question: Our strata manager insists all committee meeting minutes must be posted to the noticeboards. Isn’t it a legal requirement to supply the agenda directly to all lot owners?
Meeting Procedures of Strata Committees
I am a member of a strata committee in a strata plan containing 18 units.
Our strata manager insists that according to schedule 2 part 17 of the act that all committee meeting minutes must be posted to the noticeboards, as well as given to each owner. From our reading of the act it seems that meeting notices / agenda must be posted to the noticeboard but minutes do not have to be posted to the noticeboard.
Also the strata manager has said that they are to be advised of the meeting with the agenda in advance in accordance with Schedule 2, Part 2 (5).
Having read the act it specifically says Notice is to be given by displaying the notice on the notice board 3 days in advance. We understand this to mean they want a physical copy of the agenda and for some reason posting to the noticeboard only is not suitable. We are trying to understand whether this is a request or legal requirement to supply the agenda directly.
Answer: Depending on whether your scheme is large or not: You are correct, minutes of general meetings of the owners corporation do not need to be posted on the notice board.
The relevant provisions are below, depending on whether or not your scheme is large: You are correct, minutes of general meetings of the owners corporation do not need to be posted on the notice board.
- Records to be kept The owners corporation must keep full and accurate minutes of its meetings that include minutes of all motions passed at its meetings.
- Distribution of minutes and records of motions Within 14 days after a meeting, the owners corporation must provide copies of the minutes of the meeting in the following manner:
- by giving each member of the strata committee a copy,
- by giving each owner a copy, if the strata scheme is not a large strata scheme,
- by giving an owner a copy, if the strata scheme is a large strata scheme and the owner requests a copy within the period of 14 days.
For the full question and our detailed response, visit the original publication at Look Up Strata.
Do you have a question relating to your property or development? Contact us!
Please note that this article is provided for information purposes only and is not a substitute for professional legal advice.